Monday, August 20, 2012

Giant Eagle

 I did this race last year and really liked the course layout and the overall organization of the race.  This year it was part of the 5150 series, so I was excited to have it on my race schedule again.  I was mentally ready to race, but there was a problem, I had been battling some serious fatigue for about 2 weeks before the race.  I started to recover a couple days before and was feeling good about my chances of doing well at the race.  The will to win sometimes is just not enough though.  

The swim was a little shallow coming in and everyone started dolphin diving.  I started dolphin diving as well, but I did not have the energy to sustain the pace so I just swam in and lost a few seconds. Overall I was very happy with my swim and I got out of the water in a great position (for me).  Once I got on the bike I had a hard time getting my legs going.  It was a struggle to hit the watts I wanted but I was able to get there.  This race had a respectable field but if I could put together a good day, I could finally get a win!  I fought hard the entire bike and was able to get into T2 in second.  Dave Thompson once again was ahead of me and I knew if I could run well I would have a shot at catching him.  It just was not my day.  Everything I tried to get my legs moving was not working.  I was going to have to buckle down and just hang on for second place.  Overall it was not a great day but I was able to grab a second place finish and enough points to qualify for Hy-Vee.  A victory is still eluding me but hopefully some day I will achieve it!

It was great to have Kyle in the race as well.  Racing is a lot more fun with teammates in the race, even though it is every man for himself.  He had a good race and ended up 3rd.  IE did a great job at putting 2 guys on the podium!  That must mean that Greg knows what he is doing!  :) 

Since it was close to home I had a lot of support at the race.  Melissa, Greg, Lisa and I drove down together the day before the race and my Mom and Dad made the trip down the morning of.  It was nice to have a great group there cheering me on, too bad I had a rough day of racing. Melissa's friends, Kelly and Mark, who live in Columbus made it to the finish line.  It was great to see them.  Sorry I was a little grouchy while talking to you! Thanks to Greg for driving Lisa and Melissa around the bike course.  It was nice to get race updates and some encouragement along the way. I have the best fans and sponsors, and they all make racing at a high level possible.  Hopefully next time out my body will cooperate with my mind!!!

"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all" ~J.K. Rowling

Kaleb (@VanOrt_Tri)

No comments:

Post a Comment