Saturday, January 8, 2011

Base to Race

Over the last couple months I have been building a base for the 2011 season.  With 2 weeks until my first race of the season, my training is getting ramped up so my body is not in shock when it is time for a race effort.  Greg and I are jumping the gun a bit as I am still in the middle of my build phase, but it would be more dangerous for my body to go straight from base to race.  With the help of Hammer Recoverite and Whey Protein I have been able to train at a high level and recover!  With two tests down, a 500 TT swim and a 20 min. watt test on the bike, only one remains.  I have made great strides in the water and on the bike, but with Greg in my corner there is still more to come!!  The final test is tomorrow when we head to Notre Dame’s indoor track for a 4k.  I am most excited for this because running is my first love and it is what got me into triathlons.  Hopefully my legs remember how to run fast!
I am excited and nervous to be heading to Roatan for my first race as a professional.  It is time for me to step up to the plate with the big boys and play their game!!  I am not sure if the nerves are from the thought of racing as a pro or racing in a draft legal race.  The swim is very important and I am hoping my progress in the pool shows in the open water.  The only downer at this time is that I will not be able to wear my new ITU suit from Champion Systems.  I could use a fast suit for the swim, but I have been hard at work designing our suits and they should be ready for the US Sprint National Championship in Clermont in March. 
As you may know from previous entries, Lauren recently moved to South Bend.  It is nice having her to train with, but Nicole is missed from our daily workouts!  Hopefully someday the whole elite team can be together.  Lauren and I are a great match in the water and it is fun having someone pushing me in the pool again.  But don’t get me wrong, Greg can still bring it for 25-50 yards!!  Maybe someday I will beat the coach in a sprint!

This week we received 2 pairs of Vibram Fivefingers!  They are amazing shoes that I am looking forward to wearing around as well as some light jogging eventually.  I have always loved walking around barefoot and these are as close as I can get where shoes are required.  I will give you updates throughout the year as me feet and lower legs get stronger!
I hope you are well and enjoying the new year!  2011 is going to be exciting!
“We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.” ~Aristotle
Kaleb

No comments:

Post a Comment